Monday, April 21, 2008

Over the mountain

Since we moved to the country, we refer to events as either being on this side of the mountain or over the mountain (aka civilization, DC suburbs, etc.). If we're going to dinner or shopping over the mountain, we have to put on clothes that are appropriate, as in they need to be clean. No muck boots are allowed over the mountain. We would stand out and everyone would be thinking, "They must live in Winchester! Quick get a picture". We also drive our Honda Pilot SUV, instead of the F250 diesel truck. Not to save fuel, but just because the SUV "fits" better over the mountain.

I've come to enjoy doing things on this side of the mountain, just because I can come out of the sheep field with sheep poop on my jeans and shoes, and go straight to Cracker Barrel and order me a Grandpa's Breakfast. Of course if I'm really looking or smelling rough I'll change, but as long as the sheep stains can pass for mud, I'm good to go. Hey, only on this side of the mountain would you be sitting at dinner and have someone announce that we are honored to have the Miss John Deere Virginia in our presence. (actually happened to us 2 weeks ago)

For a long time Andre had a complex about moving to and living in Berryville because he grew up in rural northern Maine and worked long and hard to overcome his feelings of inferiority about being from the country (where they had a school break every fall so the high school kids could pick potatoes for gods sake!). He has two Master's degrees and teaches high school History - over the mountain - and he's slowly getting comfortable in this new life I've dragged him into. He doesn't even look like a country boy. We buy Eddie Bauer and LL Bean clothes - a happy medium in that respect, but I have to admit that Tractor Supply is becoming one of my favorite stores.

I happen to love my life out here in the country and I think that I was meant to be here. Andre isn't as convinced. But on this side of the mountain, I can wake up and not even have to lift my head off my pillow and can watch horses and cows grazing in the fields. I love this life.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

you made "over the mountain" sound like Narnia