Monday, April 21, 2008

It works!

Bottle lamb Bubba wasn't feeling well on Saturday. He had taken his morning bottle fine, but when we came home in the afternoon he was just standing by himself. I tried to see if he wanted a bottle but he didn't - definitely a problem here. So I looked at him a little more closely and realized that his little belly was sticking out and when I picked him up he felt a bit hollow if that makes sense. I looked up bloat in one of my many sheep books and they say it's from going from one diet to another, usually lusher, forage. Well he's only been on milk and just starting to nibble at the grass, but I treated him anyway and it was like a miracle how fast it worked.
1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup cooking oil, 2 Tbls baking soda. Mix thoroughly. For his size, I did 1/8th cup each of the water and cooking oil and 1 teaspoon baking soda. I also added 1/4 tablet (crushed) pepto bismal. Mixed it all and gave about 5 ccs with a syringe. A little toot and a few belches later and he was running with his lamby friends, where he hadn't been moving 1/2 hr before.

No comments: