Monday, June 30, 2008

This little sheepy went to market.....

Yesterday was another milestone for us. It was our first time taking sheep to the Livestock Exchange for auction. I knew I wanted to send most of the Cheviot ewes to market at some point, but it became clear lately that we had way too many sheep on the land we’re using – the grass was not keeping up with all those sheep. We are making very good use of the electronet
http://www.premier1supplies.com/fencing.php?mode=detail&fence_id=1 to allow grazing in our backyard off and on, and we’ve kept them off the neighbors field (very nice man who lets us use a 5+ acre pasture for free) for a couple of weeks to let that grow back. I over seeded it with some pasture mix awhile back and that does seem to be coming in, but with so many sheep (25!) it wasn’t getting a good head start before I had to put them back in that field. I assessed the situation and decided their lambs were big enough to be weaned and so we decided Sunday was the day. 5 ewes loaded on the trailer and off to market we went. I kept 2 of the Cheviot ewes to breed to again one more time to get those nice Cheviot x Border Leicester cross babies – they grew fast and are FAT. At some point we’ll have to take more to market but not until the lambs are bigger and can get a good price. The man at the market who took them in said that they were getting good prices for sheep lately.
Here’s the interesting part. I was a little sad about this, but Andre actually lost sleep over it. He’s such a tender heart. And I guess that makes me heartless? Probably not since in my mind they are going to be purchased by a nice couple who just want some sheep to keep on their lawn, so they can watch them graze while they sit in their rocking chairs on their front porch.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I don't particularly like taking sheep to market either, because you really don't know what happens to them once you leave them there. I'm facing the choice of cutting my flock in half because of lack of rain and therefore no pasture. I can't justify dry lotting an entire flock, especially given the high price of hay and grain. So I have to decide. And it's really tough when the breed I raise is so rare. It'll come down to some arbitrary decisions, I'm sure, but it'll still be tough to send even the ones who "deserve" to go. :-(