Thursday, May 22, 2008

same ole.....

Not much going on lately, which is actually a good thing. Pulled a thorn out of a limping lamb and it made me feel like I'm important in the lives of my sheep. Then 2 days ago Jazzy (big mama ewe) started limping. We caught her (Andre LOVES to do that for some reason) and flipped her and her hooves were overgrown. Trimmed them back, put some magical stuff on it and she's walking better today. I really love taking care of my sheep. And watching them sitting there chewing their cud like they have no care in the world. I keep thinking "The Lord is my shepherd, I shall not want....", and no I don't think I'm God, but I do want to be a good shepherd to my flock and do all I can to provide a nice life for them. They in return get to help us when I train my border collies to work them. The dogs are now learning about moving lambs and about dealing with some protective mamas and how to keep off of them just enough not to piss them off, but to convince them to move.
Helping with a trial this weekend - AKC (UGH, don't agree with AKC conformation showing and how it has ruined too many breeds, but I do like to see the other breeds working sheep (shelties, corgis, bearded collies, GSDs) and their owners working together in any venue available. None of my dogs are or ever will be registered with AKC - don't get me started as this is a huge issue within the border collie working dog world). Anyway, this may make me a hypocrit by being involved in this ACK! trial, but I do help out my neighbor who needs to make a living, which she does by putting on trials, training etc. Helping out gets me free sheeptime at her farm. I also enjoy most of the people who come to these trials, although there are always the idiots who complain about this and that. They want "trained" sheep and don't seem to understand that this is LIVESTOCK, and you must expect the unexpected. On Monday there is an AHBA trial (all breeds also) and these are fun and a little more laid back. I'll be using Heather to hold sheep for all these trials - 3 days worth-, which means we set (settle and hold with pressure from me and Heather) until the dog running does an outrun and then lifts them to bring them to their handler. Heather LOVES working and although this job of doing setout might cause issues with her strong eye, I've decided to do what we like to do. She's my first dog and I've made plenty of mistakes with her, but she's taught me TONS because she is such a natural. The issues she has have only been because I didn't know how to work them out with her, but I'm happy and she's happy with our journey.

No comments: