Friday, May 23, 2008

Hobnobbing

A friend of mine at work invited Andre and I to her house for a get together last night. Carol and her husband Bruno were hosting a guy who had come in to do book signings and he's also giving the commencement speach for Shepherd Community College (? I think). He's originally from Martinsburg, WV and has ties to the community etc. etc. etc. They've come to know him in the last 10 years or so through other friends and he usually stays with them. Anyway, he's written a book about Lincoln and I thought Andre would enjoy talking to him. So the guy's name is David Selby and he's also an actor. As soon as I saw him I knew I'd seen him in things - turns out he was in Dark Shadows (there is a huge cult following for that show believe it or not - kind of like trekkies!), Falcon Crest, some movies etc. It was a nice evening because they had finished a day of book signings (he and his lovely wife Chip and his publicist) and then came by Carol and Bruno's house to relax and talk to us. Andre had him practically all to himself and he probably is coming to Andre's High School in the fall to talk to his students. What a change from our normal lives, and hey, we were rubbing elbows with Hollywood (The closest we'll ever get!)
http://www.davidselby.com/news.htm

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How cool is that?!?! I think it's funny that you mention Dark Shadows and Star Trek together. I was pretty young when both were on TV, but remember coming home from school and rushing to catch both shows, often at our neighbor Marla's house (her dad was the mailman). I was one of the few people who loved the Dark Shadows remake that appeared on TV probably 15 years ago now, and was sorely disappointed when it went off the air again. You can bet I'll get the audio versions. I used to be *in love* with Quentin Collins (well, as much as an elementary school kid can be anyway!). Thanks for bringing back some great memories! That will be so neat if he goes and speaks at Andre's school!

Debbie P said...

I used to watch Dark Shadows with at my next door neighbor's house everyday, but I don't remember Quentin Collins! I'd like to get the audios to listen to in the car.....but I won't be listening to them at night!!!