Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Thistle - GAH


This is White (hair/wool mix lamb), nibbling at a thistle. If only they would eat it. Guess it’s just too prickly.
This past weekend I sprayed all of the thistle since it was getting pretty tall.
We also got 5 sheep sheared on Monday morning, before it got too hot. The rest are getting done this weekend. The shearing actually went well. Only a couple small nicks here and there. We used the stand, but had it on the ground instead of up on its legs. It was easier to get the big sheep into the head rest that way since they really don’t like walking up the ramp (we learned last year!). I sheared the good wool off their backs and sides first. Then Andre would get them on their butts so I could shear the belly wool off that we don’t keep. I even got brave and sheared Romey’s nether regions – Andre telling me the whole time to be careful! Last year I used scissors to clip around that area because I was so scared of hurting the poor guy.
The sheared sheep all look so WHITE after the rain the past few days, and I’m sure they feel much more comfortable. At least this week is not too hot, but we really need to get the rest done soon. Next year I’m going to get shearing done early spring!

No comments: