Wednesday, July 23, 2008

Garden of Good and Evil

What I wanted to grow in my new garden…(Crookneck Squash)




What I planted instead by mistake. UGH.



I have no idea how to cook these things. (Butternut Squash)
I did some research and you have to peel them and then use the “meat” for soups.
I wanted some nice tender yellow squash to grill this summer. Oh well…..

Good news is that they are growing FAST and I have to keep re-directing the vines so they don’t take over the tomato plants. So once I figure out what to do with them, I’ll have plenty. Maybe I’ll share some with my co-workers.

I have to get a picture of my little, raised bed garden – it’s not pretty. I clearly didn’t know what I was doing and planted WAY too much in that little 8x6 box. 7 tomato plants, 2 strawberry plants, 3 cucumber plants, 9 (3 per hill) squash plants, basil, mint and rosemary (just remembered that one – I haven’t seen it in awhile because of the da*n squash! )

I am hot and cold when it comes to taking pictures, but I think it’s time to dust the camera off and get ready for my WV trip this weekend. I’ll try to get pictures on here soon.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh Noes! That looks like something I'd do.

Deb - if you go to the BC Boards in the Coffee break section, Becca posted her recipe for a fall lamb and apple stew. It includes some butternut squash, and I've made it - it's amazing. Very, very good. I can't remember what to search under... maybe lamb recipes? Anyway, very good stew.

You can split the squash in half, dig out the seeds, and lay them face down in a pan with a little water. Roast em (don't know temp), and then eat them that way or scoop it out and make a casserole.

PS - I'm amazed at anyone's ability to grow things.

Debbie P said...

THANKS for the recipe hint. I'll look it up on the boards. I still have lamb in the freezer so that will be perfect. The roasted squash sounds good too.
I just had my heart set on those tender little yellow squash. I'm a big dummy.
deb

Anonymous said...

LOL I can totally understand. I'm disappointed for you. I love crookneck squash. The butternut squash is really tasty though - and I'd say it's more... pumpkin-ey.

http://www.bordercollie.org/boards/index.php?showtopic=16466&st=20&start=20

Go there. ;)

Becca's post is on the 2nd page, and I *think* I linked directly to it. Maybe not.

Laura